Recherche de fonds d'archives
Pour formuler un commentaire, veuillez communiquer avec firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention : La notice descriptive est en traitement. Il se peut que ces documents ne soient pas encore disponibles pour fin de consultation.
Description trouvée dans les archives
Fonds se compose de
Structure du classement
1. Charles W. Jefferys collection [graphic material]
2. Charles W. Jefferys collection [graphic material]
3. Charles William Jefferys collection [graphic material] (118-080248-9)
4. C.W. Jefferys ink drawing [graphic material]
5. Charles William Jefferys collection [philatelic records] Postally-used covers
6. Charles W. Jefferys collection [graphic material] (123-040072-9)
7. The Rail Splitter [graphic material] / Charles William Jefferys (1997-00158-6)
Lieu de création
Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
1244 photographs : b&w.
3.9 m of textual records
ca. 100 film reels (ca. 40h)
8 prints : reproductions
2 postal covers
1 album : 42 photographs, b&w
Langue du document
Portée et contenu
Fonds consists of correspondence, 1916-1918, 1941-1948; notes and notebooks consisting of research notes relating to specific Jefferys' publications, n.d.; and general research notes, n.d.; manuscripts of short essays by Jefferys, n.d., and essays, short stories and manuscripts by other authors, n.d.; research files consisting of Jefferys' own research files, 1896-1950, and unorganized research material, 1896-1950; publications including pamphlets, magazines and historical publications, 1897-1949; and Imperial Oil files, compiled by Imperial Oil and containing illustrations, bibliographies and miscellaneous material, n.d. Fonds contains research photographs for Jefferys' art works, unidentified portraits, portraits of Jefferys, and views of Canada, n.d., 1880-1945. Fonds contains graphic art consisting of five watercolour paintings, 1900-1933. Fonds also includes a drawing known as "The Rail Splitter", ; and a drawing by Jefferys entitled,"Sketches Made This Week In The Post Office", containing three inset sketches, depicting four groups of people carrying out various activities in a post office, n.d. Fonds includes two postal covers sent to Jefferys, York Mills, Ont., by correspondents in Hamilton, Ontario, during 1946.
Négatif de copie C-010687
Négatif de copie C-010686
Négatif de copie C-010690
Photographs: No restrictions. Various copyright. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no. Watercolours: No restrictions. Various copyright. Postal covers: No restrictions: Copyright unknown: Credit: National Archives of Canada. Drawings: No restrictions on sketch of post office; contact the C.W. Jefferys Estate, c/o Robert Stacey, Toronto, Ont., for permission to publish "The Rail Splitter".
Cartographic material: No restrictions. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
Instrument de recherche
Textual records: The finding aid is a file list. MSS1376 (Papier)
Photographs: See "Photographic inventories, indexes, and caption lists arranged by accession number". FA-500 (Autre)
Cartographic material Please consult lower level descriptions. 90 (Autre)
Créateur / Provenance
Biographie / Histoire administrative
Born in Rochester, England, C.W. Jefferys settled with his family in Toronto, 1880-1881. He attended the Winchester and Lord Dufferin School and apprenticed with the Toronto Lithography Company from 1885-1890. Jefferys joined the Toronto Art Students' League in 1888 and studied watercolour painting under Charles MacDonald Manly. From 1889-1982, Jefferys worked with the Toronto Globe, sketching daily news events. He worked for the New York Herald, 1893-1901.
Jefferys returned to Toronto in 1899 and began a long career as a magazine and book illustrator, producing among other works the illustrations for The Chronicles of America, Sam Slick in Pictures, Episodes in Canada's Story, and Canada's Past in Pictures, as well as the texts for the two latter. This career culminated in his work, 1940-1950, on the three volume Picture Gallery of Canadian History. From 1912-1939, Jefferys taught painting and drawing in the Department of Architecture at the University of Toronto. During W.W.I, he was employed by the service for Canadian War Records.
See: Canadian Encylopedia, 1985, p. 915: Encyclopedia Canadiana, vol. 5, p. 346.
1. Artists - Canada, 1896-1950
2. Sam Slick in Pictures.
3. Artists - Correspondence, 1916-1918, 1948
4. Sam Slick in Pictures, n..d.
5. Canada - History - Pictures, n.d.
6. Sam Slick in Pictures, n.d.
7. Plan for Pictorial Companion to Canadian History, n.d.
8. The Picture Gallery of Canadian History, n.d.
9. Landscape in English Fiction, n.d.
10. Data for Petit Canada, n.d.
12. Canada's Past in Pictures, n.d.
13. G. H. Markham, [between 1916 and 1948]
14. Canada. Overseas Service for War Records, 1916-1918.
15. Eric Brown, 1918.
16. B.E. (Byron Edmund) Walker, 1916-1918.
17. The chronicles of America, 1916-1918.
18. Haliburton Drawings, 1916-1918.
No de contrôle d'autres systèmes
No de contrôl reliés
1. 1979-093 NPC
2. 1982-199 NPC
3. 1990-568 DAP
4. 1992-183 DAP
5. 1993-072 DAP
6. 1995-105 DAP
7. 1998-026 VSA
- Date de modification :