Recherche de fonds d'archives
Pour formuler un commentaire, veuillez communiquer avec firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention : La notice descriptive est en traitement. Il se peut que ces documents ne soient pas encore disponibles pour fin de consultation.
Description trouvée dans les archives
Série se compose de
Structure du classement
Série fait partie de
Lieu de création
Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
Langue du document
Portée et contenu
Series consists of records created and/or maintained by the Chapleau Agency. The series includes central registry files, general operational records, outgoing correspondence, incoming correspondence, paylists and registers of membership, births and deaths.
Copyright belongs to the Crown. In order to protect the fragile originals, the microfilm copies of these records must be consulted rather than the originals.
Biographie / Histoire administrative
The Chapleau Agency in Ontario was created to administer bands recently taken into Treaty 9 (Brunswick House, Missanabie, Chapleau, Mattagami, and Flying Post bands). According to the Band History Cards, there were three bands of Cree at Moose Factory. One band was paid at Missanabie and became known as the Missanabie Crees after 1947. Another band was paid at Chapleau, and was known as the Chapleau Cree after 1937. The last band was known as Moose Factory. In addition, a number of individual members of the Michipicoten, Spanish River and Mississauga bands have historically lived at locations within the Chapleau Agency geographic area and their affairs have been administered by the agent at Chapleau despite the fact that the balance of the members of those bands were administered by the agent at Sault Ste. Marie. In 1955, administration of the Pic Band was transferred to the Chapleau Agency from the Port Arthur Agency. In 1959, the Pic band was split into the Pic Mobert and the Pic Heron Bay bands and responsibility for the latter band was transferred back to the Port Arthur Agency. The Constance Lake band was constituted in 1944 by members of several other bands and it was administered by the Chapleau Agency until 1955 when responsibility was transferred to the Nakina Agency. The Chapleau Agency was amalgamated with the Nipissing Agency and the Sault Ste. Marie Education District to form the Sudbury District in 1967. After the amalgamation in 1967, a small field sub-office was maintained in the Chapleau area until 31 January 1970. Finding aid 10-157: Guide to Indian Affairs Field Office Organization in Ontario, 1845-1990.
- Date de modification :