This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.
Book Selection Criteria for the 1999 Edition
Books published in Canada or abroad with a Canadian author or illustrator:
- Still available from publishers/distributors
- Published between 1995 and 1999 in which the theme is HUMOUR
- In both official languages, with due respect given to geographic distribution and ethnic and lingusitic diversity
- Writtten for ages 2-16
- Part of a balanced number of fiction and picture books
- Where quality of text and illustrations and quality of text in relation to illustrations are evident
DEFINITION OF "HUMOUR" AS A THEME
- Texts which underline the amusing, funny or unusual aspects of a story.
- Texts which include puns, plays on words per se, or plays on words between text and image.
- Illustrations which are humorous or include aspects of caricature.
- Texts and illustrations where irony is employed with due respect given to others.