This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.
In 1603, King Henry IV of France commissioned Sieur Pierre Du Gua de Monts as his viceroy and lieutenant-general in what was called by various names: Lacadie, La Cadie, Accadie. In 1604, Sieur de Monts and explorer and mapmaker Samuel de Champlain sailed from France with their crew to start a colony in the New World. Their ship landed at a small island in a bay they named Baie Française (later called the Bay of Fundy). They named the island Île Sainte-Croix and built some buildings to live and work in. They named the group of buildings the "habitation". The winter was very harsh, windy and cold. Gradually the colonists began to die of cold and scurvy (a disease caused by a diet without enough fruit and vegetables). By spring, only half the men were left.