Sauter les liens de navigation (touche d'accès : Z)Bibliothèque et Archives Canada - Library and Archives Canada Canada
Page d'accueil > Explorer les thèmes choisis > SOS! Les catastrophes au Canada English

Contenu archivé

Cette page Web archivée demeure en ligne à des fins de consultation, de recherche ou de tenue de documents. Elle ne sera pas modifiée ni mise à jour. Les pages Web qui sont archivées sur Internet ne sont pas assujetties aux normes applicables au Web du gouvernement du Canada. Conformément à la Politique de communication du gouvernement du Canada, vous pouvez demander de recevoir cette page sous d'autres formats à la page Contactez-nous.

Banni�re : SOS! Les catastrophes au Canada
IntroductionReportages sur les catastrophesRechercheAideEauTerreAirFeuGlace
Titre de l'article : LITTLE HOPE NOW REMAINS


All of Titanic’s Survivors are on the Carpathia


Titanic’s Commander Had Notified Authorities of Its Presence


New York Papers Publish an Account of the Disaster, Which Is to Be Taken With Reserve-The Titanic’s Lifeboats

New York, April 16-Only a faint hope remains tonight that any of the 1,302 passengers and crew who have been missing since the giant Titanic sank have been picked up by trans-Atlantic liners. The 868 survivors rescued from life boats by Cunarder Carpathia, now on her way to this city, are the only known saved.

The brief and meagre wireless messages that came to hand today extinguished hope that some of the ill-fated passengers may have been picked up at sea by the steamships Virginian and Parisian, of the Allan line. Both of these steamers sent word that they had no passengers of the Titanic on board.

Of the 868 persons rescued by the Carpathia, the names of 326 passengers had been received by wireless up to 4.30 o’clock. The Carpathia evidently was out of wireless range toward noon, for after that efforts to reach her with wireless communications were futile and a score or more of messages from the Cunard Company and other sources were unanswered.

At 5 o’clock this afternoon Vice-President Franklin, of the White Star line, said that so far as he knew, the Olympic was till standing by the Carpathia to relay wireless messages. He added that he had received no word from the Olympic since 9 o’clock this morning, and had been unable to get either the Carpathia or the Olympic by wireless.

Mr. Franklin said also that the steamship companies crossing the Atlantic had entered into an agreement to adandon the short northern route in favor of the southern route so long as icebergs were reported in the pathway of the former course.

The Titanic was insured for $5,000,000, Mr. Franklin said. On the ship, he added, the White Star line would lose about $3,000,000. “This will be the smallest part of our loss,” he added.

Captain Rostron, in his last wireless report to the Cunard Company, stated that the Carpathia was proceeding slowly through a field of ice to this port. President Talt late this afternoon directed the Secrtary of the Navy to order the scout cruisers Salem and Chester to the scene at once from Hampton Roads to meet the Carpathia and send in by wireless to the Government a complete list of the Titanic’s survivors. The Chester was caught by wireless about 40 miles off the Chesapeake Capes and by 4 o’clock was steaming northward at 20 knots an hour, aiming to get as quickly as possible into touch with steamers having news bearing on the disaster. Two revenue cutters were also notified to stand in readiness to proceed to the Carpathia if necessary. In the event that the Salem had not sufficient coal, instructions were given to despatch the cruiser North Carolina instead.

Captain Rostron, of the Carpathia, has been instructed to send full details of the sinking of the Titanic.

All day long tearful and anxious throngs swarmed the offices of the White Star line and overflowed into Broadway, stopping traffic at times and keeping police reserves busy maintaining order.

Colonel John Jacob Astor is believed to be among those drowned. His wife and maid are safe on the Carpathia. Isador Strauss, the millionaire merchant; Benjamin Guggenheim, the copper magnate and president of the International Pump Company, and Edgar J. Meyer, vice-president of the Braden Copper Company are still unaccounted for and their names were not found among the survivors.

Whether Charles M. Hayes, president of the Grand Trunk Railway, was saved was not known tonight. His name was not among those reported rescued by the Carpathia.

The Treasury Department, through the Customs Office, has given orders to expedite in every way the landing of the survivors of the Titanic and to aid them in meeting their friends upon the arrival of the Carpathia. Customs regulations have been suspended and the customs officers will aid the survivors in finding their relatives and friends. Every person meeting a survivor will be assigned to a space under his initial letter at the dock and the survivors will be sent there to meet him. This will be done to avoid confusion.

Vice-President Franklin said late this afternoon that his list of survivors showed that 202 out of 225 first cabin passengers and 114 of 285 second cabin passengers of the wrecked liner had been accounted for.

Charles P. Sumner, general agent of the Cunard Line in this country, said tonight that he believed that the Carpathia was within 60 or 70 miles of the Titanic when the big ship struck the iceberg. The Carpathia, he said, did not reach the scene of the accident until fully two hours afterward.

Mr. Sumner, who had vainly tried to reach the Carpathia by wireless during the afternoon, said he had no way of telling just where the Carpathia was at this time, but thought she was steaming for New York. She might be within the New York wireless telegraph zone and able to send messages late tonight or tomorrow morning, he said, but added that he had merely advanced this as a supposition.

When Mr. Sumner was asked regarding a rumor that the Carpathia might put into Boston and land her rescued passengers there, he replied that there was nothing in the report. Had there been but a few of the rescued ones, this might have been done, said Mr. Sumner, but it was his opinion that with over 800 survivors on board the captain of the Carpathia would make direct for this city.

Alleged Vivid Description Cabled From St. John’s.

New York, April 16-The World and American this morning publish a despatch from St. John’s, Nfld., giving what purports to be the story of the foundering of the Titanic. The World introduces the message with the statement that the version given is not credited. It reads as follows:

“St. John’s, Nfld., April 16.–There is a report being circulated here that when the Titanic struck the berg she was going at 18 knots.

“The story goes on to say in detail that the impact was so terrific as to almost rend the ship asunder.

“The deckings were broken through, the sides crumpled in as though so much cardboard and the bulkheads forming the water-tight compartments, upon which such great reliance was placed, were crushed in from the bow to nearly amidships.”

The version of the wreck is credited to the British steamer Bruce, which was in this port on March 19, and is now en route to Sydney, N.S. She is supposed to have picked up by wireless the story from other ships that were near the Titanic and from other vessels which took up the thread from that time as they got it from intercepted wireles messages.

There is no support for the sensational narrative except for the insistence of the statement that when the crash came the Titanic was making great speed.

The version credited to the Bruce of the wreck ways that the force of the collision smashed several of the boats and all of the upper works to pieces.

The ship is said to have piled up bow on, the force of the blow being greatest on the port side, which tore to pieces, causing her to list far over, almost turning turtle.

She is declared to have struck with such speed and momentum as to half rear out of the water, tearing her bottom off on the jagged submerged ice from the bow clear to midship as she crashed ahead before her engines could be reversed.

Then the compartments flooded and she began to settle by the head.

The water-tight compartments shaft midsection kept her afloat, but the strain grew greater each moment.

The report has it that she roiled heavily in the trough of a heavy sea. She had a wide list to port.

Only the most superficial examination was needed to show that she was doomed. From stem to stern she was shorn and shocked from the greatest ship afloat to a rapidly sinking hulk.

The officers and crew, aided by the passengers themselves, succeeded in keeping perfect order for a time. It is long enough, according to the Bruce’s recital, for most of the boats to be launched.

Less than one thousand persons had embarked, the report continues, when the cry went up “She’s sinking.”

From order the crowd changed instantly to frenzy and rushed madly for the lifeboats within reach.

Some of these were swamped by the overcrowding. Others were smashed to pieces against the davits in being lowered away.

The story goes on to say that the Titanic settled rather than sank, but the water rose higher in her with greater speed each minute.

By the time these boats had got clear away from immediate danger the water had reached the engine room. The dynamo was rendered useless and the wireless failed.

At the same time all the lights were said to have gone out. Death came to those aboard in darkness.

This report has gained credence here because in several details it agrees with other stories that have reached St. John’s.

The story ends by saying that the belief on the seas is that the total number of those saved will reach more than 1,000.

Anxious Enquirers Besieged Steamship Offices All Day.

New York, April 16.-Thousands of persons visited the offices of the White Star line during the day and evening in quest of news of relatives and friends who were on board the ill-fated Titanic. From early morning until late tonight pathetic scenes were witnessed in lower Broadway, and in Bowling Green park, opposite the steamship offices. Hundreds of anxious injuries were received by long distance telephone from distant points.

Multitudes remained in the vicinity of Bowling Green throughout the day hoping against hope that some wireless despatch would be received announcing that their loved ones were included among the survivors on board the Carpathia. Little information could be obtained at the White Star offices, and no communication was received from the Carpathia from early in the morning until tonight, when the Cunard liner got into wireless communication with the Sable Island Marconi station.

Clerks in the White Star offices were kept busy informing those who were seeking news that no information had been received from either the Olympic or the Carpathia. The incomplete list of survivors was posted at the entrance of the White Star line offices. Those who failed to find the names of their kin or friends in this list begged for additional information.

“We are waiting for a complete list of the names of the survivors, and until this is received,” they were told, “we can give no definite information.”

When word reached the scores of men and women crowded into the narrow corridors of the offices that Vice-President Franklin, of the International Mercantile Marine Company, had announced that he was confident that the Virginian and the Parisian, of the Atlantic line, had none of the Titanic passengers on board, an atmosphere of deep depression prevailed. Few of the waiting ones, however, were willing to return to their homes until the complete list of names of the survivors on board the Carpathia had been received.

Newspaper men were besieged by the anxious inquirers who could not believe that the White Star officials were giving out all news of the disaster. Vice-President Franklin was locked in his private office throughout the day, and few persons were permitted to see him.

Before noon crowds were jammed in the narrow thoroughfare and it was necessary for Commissioner Waldo to detail additional policemen to keep the street clear for traffic. All were permitted to enter the steamship offices to read the bulletins, but the place was so packed that few of them could remain indoors.

Shows She Knew Danger Before Striking

New York, April 16.- What is believed to be one of the last messages sent from the Titanic before she struck the iceberg was received at the Hydrographic office in Washington on April 14, the day preceding the night on which the collision occurred, according to advices here tonight. The message as given read: “April 14, German steamer Amerika reported by radio-telegraph passing two large icebergs in latitude 41.27, longitude 50.03-Titanic.”

This message indicates knowledge of ice in the vicinity of the Titanic, as her position when struck was latitude 41.46, longitude 50.14.

Reports Captain of French Liner La Touraine

Havre, April 16.-The French liner La Touraine, which arrived here last night, reports that at midnight on April 10 she encountered a huge field of ice with the tops of the bergs slightly above the water. La Touraine slowed down and emerged from the ice field after an hour’s steaming. Next morning she passed other icebergs.

La Touraine was in communication with the Titanic on the afternoon of April 12.

The Presse Nouvelle quotes the Captain of La Touraine as saying that he sent a wireless despatch reporting the presence of the icebergs to the captain of the Titanic who acknowledged the message with thanks.

King and Queen and Queen Mother Send Sympathy

London, April 16.-King George has sent the following message to the White Star Company:

“The Queen and I are horrified at the appalling disaster which has happened to the Titanic, and at the terrible loss of life. We deeply sympathize with the bereaved relatives and feel for them in their great sorrow with all our hearts.

“(Signed) George R. I.”

The Queen Mother Alexandra has sent a message of sympathy to the company, in which she says:

“It is with feelings of the deepest sorrow that I have heard of the terrible disaster to the Titanic and of the awful loss of life. My heart is full of grief and sympathy for the bereaved families of those who have perished.”

Sends Message of Sympathy to Titanic Owners

Ottawa, Ont., April 16.-The following message was sent this afternoon on behalf of His royal highness the Duke of Connaught to the owners of the Titanic.

“White Star Company, Broadway, New York:

“I am desired by His Royal Highness the Governor-General of Canada to send you the following.

“I desire to express through the owners of the Titanic my very deep and heartfelt sympathy with the relatives and friends of all those who lost their lives in this terrible catastrophe.”

“(Signed), Lieutenant-Colonel Lowther, Military Secretary.”

White Star Officials Grateful for Message.

New York, April 16.-The officials of the White Star line here sent the following answer to the Duke of Connaught’s telegram of sympathy:

“We beg to sincerely thank His Royal Highness the Governor-General of Canada for his message of sympathy with the relations and friends of the passengers on the Titanic, who lost their lives in this most deplorable calamity and will convey his expressions to all concerned, through the medium of the public press.”

Many Families Had a Bread-Winner Aboard

At the White Star offices in London and Southampton late tonight large crowds were waiting in the greatest anxiety for further lists.

Many pathetic scenes were witnessed. In one street in Southampton every house had a bread-winner aboard the Titanic. The mayor of Southampton has opened a relief fund for those left dependent and has appealed to the Lord Mayor of London to co-operate.

It will be long before the full effect of insurances of various kinds at Lloyds is known and many underwriters and syndicates may be hit hard. Several insurance men, questioned on the subject, declined to commit themselves to any definite opinion, but seemed to think that there would be a movement in the direction of higher rates of insurance. Asked whether this would prove a setback to building of huge vessels, one member of Lloyds said that it depended on the nature of the details of the disaster given by the survivors.

Instructions were issued today that all Cunard steamships should follow the southern route owing to the ice.

The White Star Company has received messages of sympathy from the German Emperor and Prince Henry of Prussia.

Marine Department Establishments Receive Orders.

Ottawa, April 16.-(Special)- Orders have been given by the marine department here to the different wireless stations to expedite the sending of messages to the press and the public that may be received concerning the wreck of the Titanic. All red tapeism will be abandoned in a desire to rush to the waiting world any information picked up within the zone of the wireless, but already reports received indicate a congestion of inquiries. Experts in the marine department here do not hold out much hope that any bodies will be washed ashore on the Canadian coast. The Gulf Stream flows with all its strength at the point where the Titanic is reported to have sunk and they state the bodies will probably be carried southward. However, orders have been issued to the lighthouse keepers to keep a sharp lookout. The nearest lighthouse is on Sable Island, five hundred miles away.

The Government service contains no boats large enough to proceed to the scene of the disaster. The Niobe is laid up in Halifax, while the others are yet in winter quarters. Orders will be issued for shore establishments to scout the coast in the hope of picking up bodies, if by chance any are washed on the Canadian coast.

Mrs. Guggenheim Nearly Collapsed in Office.

Mrs. Benjamin Guggenheim, wife of the smelter millionaire, was on of the first visitors in the forenoon. When informed that no word had been received of her husband, she became hysterical. “Isn’t there something that can be done?” she pleaded. “Can’t you send steamships out to search for lifeboats which may yet be afloat?”

She was told that every steamship within the zone of wireless had been requested to give assistance. After she had been assured that she would be communicated with by telephone as soon as any word came from the Carpathia or the Olympic, Mrs. Guggenheim was assisted to her automobile and returned to her hotel. While Mrs. Guggenheim was talking with one of the White Star officials, an old woman from the East Side came in to ask about her husband and three children who were in the steerage.

There was a constant procession of automobiles and taxicabs and women from Fifth Avenue and the Bowery mingled together in the lobby of the building while they scanned the bulletin s giving the latest news of the sea tragedy. Many pleaded with the clerks not to withhold information from them.

“If you have definite news that my brother has lost his life,” said one woman, “do relieve this terrible suspense by telling me the truth.”

Scores of boys were calling out extra newspapers announcing that more than two-thirds of the Titanic’s passengers had lost their lives, and so anxious were waiting crowds for every bit of news bearing on the disaster that they brought the newspapers and scanned the list of names hoping that the husband or wife, brother or sister, or son or daughter in whom they were interested might be found to be among those who had been rescued.

After waiting in Bowling Green Park for more than fifteen hours, Mrs. W.A. Wheelock, of this city, was summoned when the first list of names of the survivors came by wireless. She was told that her niece, Mrs. D.W. Marvin, who, with her husband, was returning from her honeymoon, had been saved, but that no word had been received as to the fate of Mr. Marvin. Later in the day, Mr. Marvin’s mother and father called in quest of some news of their son.

Telegrams of enquiry were received from President Taft and from scores of other public officials in Washington and other cities. Many cable messages came from London and Paris.

Names Not on Previously Published List.

Cherbourg, April 16.-Following are additional names of first class passengers who went on board the Titanic here. They were not contained in the first list previously published:


Miss M. Hayes.
A. T. Compton.
Mrs. E. S Ostby.
Mrs. J. S. White and two servants.
Miss E. Evans.
Miss T. Newell.
Mr. J. Frauenthal.
Mrs. A. Flegenheim.
Mr. Henry Boank.
Mr. and Mrs. I. T. Smith.
Mrs. H. A. Casseber.
Mrs. C. Candee.
Miss Bowdon.
Mrs. P. Schabert.
Mrs. P. E. Mock.
Mrs. Carter’s maid.
Jacob Birnbaum.

Among the second class passengers who went on board the Titanic here and whose names were not included in the first list were:

P. Pernot.
Mrs. Widener’s maid and valet.
Mrs. Irvin.

Gave Low Re-Insurance Rates on First News

London, April 16.-The underwriters at Lloyd’s were staggered at the news, but it is declared that the insurance on the lost ship is so evenly divided that none of the underwriters are likely to be hard hit. The reassuring cable dispatches received yesterday had sent the re-insurance rate down to 25 guineas per cent, and the underwriters closed up at night hopeful that all was well. When they reopened this morning a little business was done at 90 guineas, but the rate was quickly raised to 95, which is known as a “total loss” rate.

The exact amount of the property loss was hard to ascertain today. Underwriters stated that they could not say accurately what securities were on board the ship as yet. It was generally estimated, however, that with the cargo, the Titanic would represent a value of approximately $12,500,000. Of this total, $750,000 was retained by the White Star Company at its own risk and the balance was placed on the insurance market in London, Liverpool, Hamburg and elsewhere. The loss sustained is the largest on record in connection with one “bottom.”

The officials of the White Star Company say that so far as they know every passenger whose name appeared on the lists cabled yesterday sailed on the Titanic. There may, they say, have been a few who changed the their minds at the last moment, but at the offices up to the present no cancellations from or additions to the passenger list have been heard of. As a matter of fact, these would be known only to the purser of the Titanic.

New York Ladies Will Care for Steerage Passengers.

New York, April 16.-A committee of thirteen of the most prominent women in the city, headed by Mrs. Nelson Henry, wife of the surveyor of the port of New York, was formed tonight for the purpose of taking care of the surviving steerage passengers of the Titanic on the arrival of the Carpathia in port. The committee consists of Mrs. Cornelius Vanderbilt senior, Mrs. Henry F. Dimock, Mrs. Herbert L. Satterlee, Mrs. James Sherman Aldrich, Mrs. Richard Irvin, Mrs. William Church Osborn, Mrs. Edward Ringwood Hewitt, Mrs. J. Van Vechten Olcott, Mrs. Henry Whitney Munroe, Mrs. Arthur Murray Dodge and Miss Virginia Potter.

We do not know how many steerage passengers may have been saved,” said Mrs. Henry tonight, “but we feel that something should be done for their comfort on their arrival, as there will probably be few of their friends adequate care. .eW wish to give them adequate care. We wish to give them what financial aid may be necessary to alleviate their sufferings as far as possible and assist the immigration authorities.”

Thinks Designer of Titanic and Olympic.

London, April 16.- Alexander Carlisle, lately chief designer for Harland and Wolff, the shipbuilders and the designer of both the Titanic and Olympic, in the course of an interview today said: “I never thought there was such a thing as an unsinkable ship. When the news first came that the Titanic was sinking by the head, I thought it likely that she would reach port. The fact that she sank within four hours after the impact with the ice indicates that her side was torn out.”

Mr. Carlise added: “Everything that could reasonably be thought of was done in the case of the Titanic and the Olympic in regard to the arranging of the bulkheads and other details in order to minimize the risk of ordinary accident.”

As to the number of boats carried by the Titanic, Mr. Carlisle said: “I am of the opinion that the large ships of the day do not carry anything like a sufficient number of boats but until the Board of Trade, and the governments of other countries require sufficient boats to be carried, ship owners cannot afford such extra topweight. As a matter of fact, both the Titanic and the Olympic were fitted with ? designed for and capable of carrying four times the number ?… actually fitted in the ships ? to sea. Although… left, I think I am correct… the Titanic carried fifty per cent over the number of boats required by the Board of Trade rates.”



Scores of Relatives Spent the Night at Telephone. 

During the long vigil of the night there were scores who kept in almost constant communication by telephone with their homes.

W.A. Wheelock, of this city, who reached the White Star offices at 8 o’clock Monday night in quest of news from his niece. Mrs. D.W. Marvin remained without sleep for more than 24 hours. He was completely prostrated when he left for his home tonight.

In uptown New York, wherever means of information were available, the clamor for news was no less insistent. The streets in front of bulletin boards were thronged with crowds eager to get the latest news and watching intently for the appearance of names of relatives or friends for whose fate they feared.

Similar conditions prevailed in the lobbies of the more prominent hotels where lists of passengers reported saved from the Titanic were posted. The lists were altered from time to time, as additional names were received. The lists were eagerly scanned by guests and by outsiders in search of information which might either give them for? or confirm their worst fears.

There was sorrow among the many lovers of old books, who were gathered a the sale of Part III of the Hoe Library here tonight, when wireless advices from the Carpathia failed to contain assurances of the safety of George D. Widener of Philadelphia. Mr. Widener attended both previous sales of the Hoe Library and acquired many copies to add to his collection. When he sailed for Europe he notified officials of the sale that he intended to return for the present sale and probably would be there on the 17th.

Memorial services for those who have lost their lives in the sinking of the Titanic will be held next Sunday morning in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine.

Bishop Greer will make an address and there will be special music.


Accommodating Sixty-Five Each, Says Official
(Canadian Associated Press)

Belfast, April 16.-An official of the White Star line, in correcting statements on the press wires that the Titanic had 20 boats of large capacity, said that she had only fourteen lifeboats capable of holding 65 persons, two cutters and a number of collapsible boats on board. “Of course,” he added, “It is quite impossible to provide accommodation for every soul.”

A shipping expert in discussing the question of the lack of lifeboat accommodation upon the Titanic, asks “Can anything be more disgraceful than that the Board of Trade should permit such a condition of things that no matter how many passengers aboard a ship, the maximum requirements of life-saving devices must be for 880 persons. The Board of Trade has lamentably failed to keep pace with modern developments.”

Professor Byles, while not exonerating the Board of Trade, says that it is his opinion that ships are becoming so immense that it is quite impossible to provide lifeboats to accommodate all the persons aboard. “There is only one top deck where boats can be placed,” he said, “and that can’t be sufficient. It is significant that when the Titanic was launched it was stated that she was inadequately provided with boats, but the owners pointed out that they were only compelled to comply with the requirements of the Board of Trade.”

Rich and Poor Alike Overwhelmed

London, April 16.-The King, in a message to the White Star Company, and the Prime Minister, in the House of Commons, today appropriately expressed the nation’s sense of poignant sorrow at a calamity which was impressed on the public mind almost in an unprecedented manner, not only because of the terrible nature of the disaster to the Titanic, but by reason of the peculiar circumstances surrounding it. The first hopeful wireless messages leading to the belief that all had been saved, the origin of which is now a matter of anxious speculation, then the sudden dashing of hopes tended in a most dramatic way to raise public interest to a pitch of the greatest intensity.

As the day passed and the hopes that there might prove to be further survivors on other liners were gradually disappointed, the British public began slowly to realize the dreadful nature of the catastrophe and the scenes of horror that must have occurred in the last few hours between the moment the liner struck and that in which she went down, and the anxious hours of the survivors in the boats.

Pathetic scenes were enacted all day long at the offices of the White Star Company, the hotels and the other places where friends of those aboard the ill-fated vessel had gathered, waiting for the dreaded news. All other topics were completely dwarfed. Parliament discussed Home Rule, but that question for the moment has no interest for a public face to face with such an appalling future.

Much satisfaction is expressed at the large number of women and children among the survivors, as showing that the best traditions of the sea have been upheld. There is no disposition, pending further details to attribute blame in any quarter but every possible phase and theory likely to throw light or give guidance for the future is being discussed, especially the question as the number of boats and life-saving appliances carried aboard the big liners. In this respect, the calamity has brought a revelation to the public of unsuspected dangers in ocean travel which may be calculated to lead to the strictest investigation and, if possible, remedial measures for its regulation.

Four Prominent Business Men Not Accounted for.

Winnipeg, Man., April 16.-As no less than ten Winnipeg residents were on board the ill-fated Titanic in the first class list, including several well-known citizens, the widespread anxiety has had a personal note, and all through the night every possible source of information was assailed for news of the missing ones. Early this afternoon the local office of the White Star line announced the following Winnipeggers were amongst those safe on board the Carpathia.

Mrs. Mark Fortune and her three daughters, Alice, Ethel and Mabel. A “Mr. Graham” was also reported safe and this may be the George E. Graham, buyer for the Eaton Company.

Missing Winnipeg citizens include Hugh Ross, formerly of Toronto, the well known real estate agent; Mark Fortune, a well-known business man; Thompson Beattie, partner of Mayor Waugh in the real estate and insurance firm of Waugh & Beattie, and J. J. Borebank, a real estate agent.

Might Find Passengers Afloat on Wreckage

New York, April 17.-Hope that some of the passengers of the Titanic not taken on board the Carpathia may have been saved was revived early today when the captain of the freighter Ultonia, of the Phoenix line, which docked about midnight, reported that he passed along the route taken by the Titanic and that a number of fishing boats were in the vicinity of the disaster at the time. He said he thought it not improbable that many of the passengers, had they secured life preservers and jumped in time to avoid being carried under by the suction of the liner, may have been rescued by the crews of the fishing vessels. The Ultonia is not equipped with wireless. The captain of the freighter said the fishing boats were headed toward Halifax when he passed along the route taken by the Titanic.