This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.
Exploring Aboriginal Stories
- Select an Aboriginal story from the Our Voices, Our Stories website through interlibrary loan, or from your local public or school library.
- Make sure to choose a story that explains some aspect of Aboriginal culture:
- a creation story;
- a story that explains a natural phenomenon (i.e., why the sky is blue);
- a story that explains the origin of a custom.
- Practice and model retelling this story to your students.
Use some of the Storytelling Hints.
- Summarize and explain, in your own words, the importance of Aboriginal storytelling. Information on this topic is available in the Aboriginal Storytelling Background included in this educational resource.
Note: See Evaluation Tools to evaluate student participation.