This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.
“Between 1917 and 1922 a magnificent twelve million dollar building was erected on the site of the one destroyed by fire, and is greatly admired by visitors from all parts of the world. In this building, Confederation Hall, with its wonderful carved stone pillars and arches, the mural decorations of the Reading Room, and the beautiful Library, will long be remembered by all who view them. In front of the Main Building stands the great Victory Tower, which commemorates the part played by Canada in the Great War and contains a wonderful carillon of fifty-three bells, with a range of four and a half octaves.”
from Ottawa Past and Present, by A.H.D. Ross (1927)