This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.
“The Public Works Department, the Post Office Department, the Adjutant General and Militia Departments, the Marine and Fisheries Department, the Bureau of Agriculture, and the model room connected with the Patent Department, are all located in this building. The west front of this building looking upon the upper town and beyond it towards the Chaudière Falls and Hull, gives a fine view of the wooded lands on the shore of the Ottawa River and the distant range of hills beyond, including a far view of the river and its banks stretching to the north-west in the direction of Aylmer.”
from Hand Book to the Parliamentary and Departmental Buildings, Canada, by Joseph Bureau (1867)