This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.
“Upon examination, however, of the spot selected for the erection, formerly known as the Barrack Hill, it was found from the inequality of the ground, that immense excavations were necessary, which made in solid rock added enormously to the original cost, and could not have been foreseen by builders nor architects. The government finding no provision for this work in the grant, and fearing it would cost a large portion of the original sum voted, stopped works, and for some considerable time there was no progress. A commission of inquiry was appointed, fresh contracts were signed, and the whole of the works placed under the superintendence of Mr. Fuller, under whose management the present highly creditable structures have been completed.”
“The corner stone was laid with great ceremony by His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales in September, 1860, on which occasion the rejoicings partook of the nature of the place, the lumber arches and men being a novelty to most of its visitors, bullocks and sheep were roasted whole upon the government ground and all comers were feasted.”