Reference by Appointment
For your convenience, appointments of up to 30 minutes can be booked with a Library and Archives Canada (LAC) reference specialist.
These appointments can take place:
- in person at 395 Wellington Street in Ottawa;
- by telephone;
- by Skype (Download Freeware).
Before you book an appointment:
- Is your primary interest genealogy and family history? If so, then we recommend you begin by visiting the extensive collection of genealogy research tools now available online.
- Review LAC's search tools to see if we have information on your particular research subject.
- Visit our blog for a brief introduction to archival and published material research, which provides information on how to use our search tools.
- Consult our Frequently Asked Questions for questions about hours, user cards, etc.
- Take a look at our Reference Services Charter.
To book an appointment:
Please use the Ask Us a Question Form. In the "Question" box, request your appointment and include the following information:
- your question
- a preferred date and time
- a preferred method (on-site appointment, Skype, or telephone).
- your telephone number (in case we have trouble reaching you by Skype or by email.)
- your Skype name (if you are choosing a Skype appointment).