Bank of Canada

Regular page >>
      

Services

Archives

Photographic Collection of the Bank of Canada Archives

A collection of official and amateur photographs in black and white and colour, which illustrate the architecture, organization, artwork, functions, and interests of the Bank of Canada. The collection contains photographs of the Governors, the Board of Directors, personnel, special events, buildings, and premises. Special events photographs include the laying of the cornerstone of the centre building in 1937 by Prime Minister Mackenzie King and Governor Towers, Employee Recognition Dinners, and anniversary celebrations.

The Archives has a mandate to preserve and make accessible the photographs used in Bank Notes, an employee newsletter. The photographs begin in 1974 and depict activities such as Christmas receptions, retirement receptions, and sporting events.

As well, the Archives has a small collection of Bank of Canada Staff Association photographs dating back to the early 1950s. Inventory list available.

Click to enlarge Click to enlarge
Graham Towers' office in the Victoria Building Library
Click to enlarge Click to enlarge
Public Debt Banking Hall
Click to enlarge Click to enlarge
Victoria Building, 140 Wellington Street, First office of the Bank of Canada
(1935-1938)
Currency Division
Click to enlarge Click to enlarge
Text comunications Laying of cornerstone, 10 August 1937 by Governor Towers and Prime Minister Mackenzie King
Click to enlarge Click to enlarge
Secretary's Department Bank of Canada, Wellington Street, c.1938

Contact Information:
Archives, Bank of Canada, 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1A OG9
Jane Boyko, Archivist
Tel: 613 782-8673   Fax: 613 782-7713
Email: jboyko@bankofcanada.ca