This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.
Moose Factory, 1935
Moose Factory -- the home of the H.B.C. [Hudson's Bay Company] is located on Moose Island, in the Moose River, about three miles from Moosonee, the terminal of the T. & N.O. [Temiskaming and Northern Ontario] Railway. The group of buildings in the foreground belong to the the H.B. Co. This post was the headquarters of the Company for many years but the staff has recently been moved to Winnipeg. To the left may be seen the Anglican church and still further to the left, the day school and the Anglican residential school.
There are about 400 members in the Moose Factory band nearly all of whom are Anglicans. The Anglican Church supports a local missionary who is also in charge of the school attended by about 40 pupils -- the government contributing liberally towards the upkeep of both the day and residential schools.
Many of the members of this band were employed as servants of the Company -- but no work is now attainable since the company has removed its headquarters. Consequently they are now almost destitute, depending upon the government for aid.
Dr. Tyler is now the Indian agent and medical doctor for the band and much tact has to be used in dealing with the Indians.
H.N. Awrey (Indian Affairs Commissioner)